How do I request a sponsored Internet account?
IssueDepartment head or administrator approval is required to request a sponsored account. There is a one-time set up fee and recurring monthly fees associated with these accounts. Fees are listed on the application form.
Request a sponsored account online
All of the services offered with the Internet account are automatically provided, at no charge, for officially appointed Twin Cities staff. Departments may sponsor any or all of the services offered on this page for a University-affiliated individual, as long as that individual provides a service or function that directly impacts students, faculty, or staff.
- Go to the Sponsored Internet Account and Services page. Log in with your Internet ID and password, if prompted.
- Complete the Application form.
- Check any appropriate Account Options that you want to include with this sponsored account. Please see the Account Options description that appears below.
- Click Submit request. The Application Accepted confirmation page appears.
Description of Account Options
- U Card: For more information, go to www.umn.edu/ucard/.
- E-mail account: Not only provides an e-mail account, but also an Internet ID for accessing services like wireless and VPN. You must request the e-mail account option if you want the sponsored account holder to use UMCal, NetFiles, and Active Directory.
- UMCal: University-wide electronic calendar. For more information, go to www.umn.edu/umcal/.
- Active Directory: Departmental and individual file storage and authentication. For more information, go to www.umn.edu/umnad/.
- NetFiles: Web application with collaboration and sharing features. For more information, go to www.umn.edu/netfiles/.
- Any secure access that requires an Access Request Form.
If you have questions about the Application form, please call Central Accounts Administration at (612) 626-8366 during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.